Designing a home is a challenge of its own. Creating a beautiful one starts with choosing the right style. There are so many designs to choose from, and making this crucial decision is a bit overwhelming. To commit to the right style, you need to identify your personality and understand what each style is all about. Then you’ll have a match made in heaven for years to come.
- A funky, outgoing person
- You love innovations and follow the trends
- You like to mix and match
- Always cooking and hosting
Eclectic Style, is a mix of styles, a combination of patterns, mixing different time periods of home decorating designs. A good eclectic space is defined by its contemporary, mixed, funky look.
How to get the eclectic look?
- Choose a color scheme and stick to it
- Mix and match into the chosen color scheme different décor styles and items
- Accessorize with your favorite vintage items
- Dare to combine different kinds of seats by color and style
- A love of art and iconic furniture
- Minimalist and organized
- Appreciate quality
- Want to invest in a timeless design
Modern design is influenced by the modern art movement that preceded such designs. Modern interior design grew out of the decorative arts, notably Art Deco in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The style is defined by stark surfaces and clean lines.
How to get the modern look?
- Choose streamlined upholstered sofas, leather lounge chairs and molded plastic or shaped plywood accent chairs
- Go for design classic furniture and iconic objects
- Emphasize form - Modern design uses geometric shapes, squares, circles and rectangles along with smooth curves
- Use plastic or wood with an opaque finish to cover the natural wood grain.
- Glossy metals, such as stainless steel, are among the signature materials in modern interior spaces. From the legs of a chair to the body of a lamp.
- A career person
- Appreciate fashions and trends
- Like to be updated and live the good life
- Prefers de-cluttered homes
Contemporary interior design represents what is current and new. The look is hip and trendy. Fundamentally, simplicity, and clean lines help to define contemporary style decorating. Interiors showcase space rather than objects – less is more. The layout is open, for instance, an open kitchen, with long sleek frameless cabinet doors, furniture-designed with strong horizontal lines, blends right into contemporary environment.
How to get the contemporary look?
- Use of bold color blocks.
- Choose a space with high ceilings, bare windows
- Take advantage of structural elements
- Choose individual pieces of furniture
- Find artworks with bold geometric shapes.
- Go for large lighting fixtures which are installed to highlight specific element or an area – for example, dining room or a staircase.
- Old fashioned and romantic
- Enjoy neutral color schemes and avoid fashions or trends
- Loves wood and ornaments
- Like a laid back peaceful lifestyle
- Appreciate antique and heritage
- Adore nostalgic décor for a one-of-a-kind interior
How to get the traditional look?
- Use symmetry around a focal point, such as a favorite work of art, a fireplace, or a large piece of furniture.
- Choose deep rich wood tones for your furniture. Dark woods like cherry, maple, and mahogany are typically used in furniture pieces of this style.
- Incorporate architectural details - Arches, columns, and built-in cabinetry are also frequent features of the traditional interior.
- Look for curved furniture pieces that hearken back to the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Opt for fabrics featuring patterns such as florals, damasks, or paisleys.
- Incorporate silk and velvet throughout the decor
If you're looking for interior design services in New Jersey, call J. West Design Services at 908-405-1393, or fill out our online request form.